Grandfather/ inside police jurisdiction questions

Question/ I recently purchased a 2 acre track of land with 5-6 mobile homes located on the property located very close to the city limits but never anexxed * into the city . I immediately went and turned the power on to all of them. I am needing to know where I stand on the grandfather rights to add mobile homes to this park . I am being told that I have to go through the city planning dept due to being within 3 miles of the city limits . Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

If you are outside city limits then you do not have to comply with city ordinances. Some cities will try to say they control development in their ETJ, but that is wrong (at least in Texas).

I have had my real estate attorney advise a city’s attorney of this and the ordinance magically changed to state they cannot control ETJ development. This was a $500 exercise in my case.

Your county should only have minimal development requirements comparatively (e.g. detention, drainage, etc), but that’s a different conversation with different people.

The city may try to dangle utilities in front of you as a means to control your property use, but if you’re not connected to them today they have no leverage.

Thanks for posting that! I was told that the ETJ was under the city’s domain … good to know that’s not true! I will look up the law on that for any future reference!

When you say under the city’s domain . What are you saying ? They can control 3 mile variance?

Meaning that they can enforce their ordinances. See above post by @jhutson

In Texas, I believe cities do have the right to enforce certain codes/planning uses in their ETJ (3 mile extent or what ever).

Unless subdividing or replatting it’s usually A non issue for people as it relates to MHPs.

There are some odd items, granted, like signs and sex shops that have specifics…

Are you seeing otherwise?

Not familiar with specific.

Okay , would you have any advice being I already have 4 power poles with active power , property currently listed as a mobile home park on the county parcel information and the city ordinance allows for MH in “duly authorized mobile home parks “ . Duly authorized means Board or zoning adjustment approved/authorized but if the park is in the county and when formed there was no regulations on the 3 mi variance . Any recommendations on a lawyer with knowledge of Alabama regulation? Sorry for all the questions and appreciate all the responses . Thank you

For your state specific details I’d contact your MHA to see if they recommend an attorney with this experience. In Texas I don’t think you would have any trouble bring in additional homes, but you should not use this as guidance for where you operate.

Every state is different. You need to know how the law works in Alabama.