Good times at the Lift Station with diapers and Handiwipes!

So here’s a question for all you seasoned Park owners out there…!

We just replaced one of two pumps in our lift station less than 72 hours ago. Pump starts tripping breakers yesterday. Check the amperage and pump is drawing over 100 amps. Low and behold we have another diaper/handiwipe wound in the pump. (again)
This particular pump is $6000 installed. So what would the seasoned park owner do?
A. Buy a new pump, repair or replace current pump and hope it never happens again?
B. Put eviction notices on all homes that have children?
C. Send out a stern letter explaining to the lazy ass people to put their diapers/handiwipes in the trash?and If they would like to continue enjoying a reasonable rents to please STOP?
ANy comments are appreciated.

I feel your pain. The solution starts with education

You may need a trash trap in front of lift station as well

4 Likes

I feel your pain too

How many units does the lift station service?

Also I should just throw out that option B is almost surely illegal.

FYI when this happens to me I send out a letter to all potential culprits letting them know what they can and cannot flush, and that if they flush bad stuff down it will eventually clog their branch line allowing the plumber to identify them, and if the plumber ever identifies them they will be billed hundreds of dollars for the cost.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the comments. Noel, Option B is only for comic relief. I am surprised that you send out notice to select few, it seems like that could potentially get you into trouble as well for targeting? I do like the idea of letting all tenants know that there can be some culpability with flushing all things not toilet paper down the pooper. I wonder how others feel about a blanket email to all residents expressing punitive terms for offenders? Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

As a side note a ragged pump (fouled with crud) should not cause the pump to fail. The thermal overloads on your control panel should have tripped before significant damage was done… Did the pump get cleaned and tried again? Now if this is happening every week the damage will be cumulative.

1 Like

Thanks Phillip, yes cleaned and back in the pit and working fine- for now.
BTW- thanks for putting that flyer together, I saved that a few days ago when I saw it.
I think I am going to modify and include my current dilemma.

1 Like

Sort of off topic, but why is the pump 6K installed? That seems pretty high…or a really beefy setup.

Your potential Achilles heal could be angry tenants using wet ones, diapers etc. getting your attention. Is your grinder set before your lift pump?? To detect the culprit will be very difficult and if someone is angry be careful.

@Wpg3 , as per your post:

• “So what would a seasoned park owner do?”

My Husband & I have 2 Mobile Home Parks.

One MHP has Septic Tanks (1 Mobile Home to 1 Septic Tank) & the other MHP has City Sewer (but we are the proud owners of the Sewer Lines in the MHP).

Although we do not have a Lift Station, we do have ‘Septic / Sewer Issues’.

Thus, on all our Monthly Bills the following is included:
*** SEWER: The ONLY items to go down the Sewer are 3 Ps: Pee & Poop & Paper (Toilet Paper) – NOTHING ELSE ***
*** SEWER: Toilet & Sinks: NO Grease – NO Wipes (Baby & Adult) – NO Tampons – NO Pads – NO Condoms – NO Paper Towels ***

I actually got the 3 Ps from a gentleman on this Forum (who worked at a Hospital & was in charge of their Sewer System) who taught me a lot about the Sewer Systems. He was very knowledgeable. He desired to retire and own a Mobile Home Park. I have not seen his posts lately, so I am not sure what path he selected to take. However, I thank him for his knowledge and wish him the very best!

When Sewer / Septic Issues arise, we sent out a text reminding the Tenants of what is allowed to go down the Sewer.

The Mobile Home Park pays for the Sewer / Septic Issue to be resolved.

However, IF we are able to identify who is causing the issue (Sewer Branch Line clogged with inappropriate items or an individual septic tank overflowing due to an excessive water leak), we tell the Tenant that they will be responsible for the charge.

Thus far, we have not charged an individual Tenant for a Sewer / Septic issue.

We wish you the very best!

3 Likes

Thanks Kristen for the reply/info. We sent out a similar letter last week asking all residents to be considerate of their neighbors and in order for us to keep rents low we need the cooperation of all residents in keeping our lines clean. Thanks for the kind words. We wish you the best as well?

I have a similar warning in my rules and regulations and in my leases. If I can say with certainty that the issue was caused by a particular unit flushing items into the drains (public sewer) then they will be given the bill. (That determination is based largely on the plumber’s determination)

Good info Phillip - I just can’t help but laugh at the thought of someone reading your comment and not knowing the context. A muffin monster sounds gnarly!! LOL

In case you need a backup Muffin Monster - https://ebay.us/julSzD

:wink:

In addition to the other suggested ideas for a notice you might also consider a poker bluff by adding, “we sent the offending diaper in for DNA testing, and who ever we discover is responsible for the damage will also be responsible for all repair and maintenance costs.” …or something along those lines.

In one of our communities, we installed the blue colored neighborhood watch signs that looks like an eye, and we quickly received some complaints from neighbors claiming it was illegal for us to film them…they thought the picture of the eye was actually a camera.