Future risk of water availability ( Texas) pricing, infrastructure, availability

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article231070813.html

I know this has come up before but thought its a good topic to reconsider especially from overall affordability. And something i have been seeing and a future variable that you need to account for.

The article is specific to TX but some parts will account for everyone, some for high growth / drought areas.

Heres a couple good snippets if you don’t want to read it:

About 1,000 people arrive in Texas each day, drawn by jobs, newly built homes and other opportunities. But in a state where prolonged drought is a regular occurrence, officials are struggling to ensure they can sate everyone’s thirst.

“The state is growing so fast that we’re constantly playing catch-up when it comes to building resilient water supplies,”

As the planet warms and weather patterns turn more extreme, droughts — as well as floods — in the state generally have worsened. Meanwhile, the state population is expected to double by 2050 to more than 50 million people.

Aside from the issue of availability. Water and sewer rates will be ticking up over time. So really i think many are sub metered already. But if your 3000 gallon usage per month goes from 35 dollars to 80 dollars, this will be expensive for all.

There is a lot of variance from what i have seen from water and sewer if its 5 per month or 100 per month. I know Philip has mentioned before but aging infrastructure in cities, they need to spend big bucks on upgrades and that ultimately trickles back to the end consumer.

I dont have anything concrete here but just consider this in the back of your heads on overall affordability as time passes and this might be more prevalent in certain markets vs others.

1 Like

This is a subject that is often overlooked. Thanks for bringing it up. There is lots of good research out there about the aquifers in Texas and in most every state. The Ogallala is a massive aquifer flowing from South Dakota, through Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas and it has seen very significant declines. The Edwards aquifer in Texas is also in decline. The stability of the your aquifer is of even greater concern if you have wells for your park and you should do your research on before buying. Texas is interesting in its water law. Basically you own the water under your land and can use it as you like but so can your neighbors and if they lower the water table lower than your well too bad for you drill a new well. Many other states have system based on applying for water rights (the state owns the water and grants you the right to use it) which gives you a priority dated and first dibs on water based on quantity you where granted to use. The older the priority grants you first usage in a shortage. Hope that makes sense.

5 Likes