Frustrating Florida deal

So I have a park under contract in Florida. Has good demographics and a 100k+ metro, city water/sewer direct billed…all the good stuff. Park is 38 spaces with only 9 occupied. The city hates the park and has taken the position new homes cannot be brought into the park. The city has conceded the park is legal non-conforming but are using a loose interpretation of their local ordinances and refusing to consider the state statute. I have seller financing with $50k down and a very good price assuming we overcome the city. I have employed an attorney that has contacted the city attorney but despite our case the park is grandfathered the city refuses to concede. I believe we will have to sue the city but I am not the owner so I technically cannot sue and the seller is dragging his feet on pursuing a law suit.

Very frustrating as I have offered various solutions to the seller to try and move forward. I don’t feel confident dropping $50k to close plus attorney fees to fight the city. I have been advised not to close until the city is handled. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas are appreciated.

You can’t fight city hall. If your attorney can’t set them straight a lawsuit is for the current owner, not a problem you want.

Walk away. It is not a deal worth pursuing.
If the owner ever wants to sell he will need to fix the problem first.

The park is cheap for a reason. You are better served putting your energy into finding another deal

If you believe you’ll win easily, ask the current owner to sell you 1% of park and set forth lawsuit with owner.

Frank Rolfe covered this in one of his mobile mastery podcasts, although the situation was referring to when you already owned the park. Based on my recollection, he noted that there were a number of precedent cases making it virtually impossible for a city to win their case if you fight it to the state supreme court. He also recommended suing with request for a jury trial since all the city judges are likely to find in favor of the city. My understanding also is that a lease option could protect you while limiting your liability if the city is willing to stretch out the fight.