Flood zone question?

Ok, the previous park deal I backed out of.

I have another accepted offer here, could be a killer of a deal. The seller said the back small part of the park is flood, according to the survey it’s more like about 40% of the park.

As long as I lift the homes and install them above the flood level, is this a big deal? I believe it’s a 100 year, but have NOT confirmed this. I just inked the deal this afternoon.

@Coach62
One other thing to check is whether they are allowed to bring in new homes once old homes come out. I was looking at a park that was 100% in the flood zone, and the owner told me he’s not supposed to bring in new houses when old ones move out, but he does it anyway. This was also a 100 year flood plain.

Good point, thank you. I’ll be sure to check.

You should be aware that FEMA is forcing states to redraw their maps. What is today might be something else a year from now.

This is serious enough that a number of community owners along the Mississippi River in Illinois are sweating blood right now. The Illinois Manufactured Housing Association just held a special program for its members on the subject during the annual meeting.

Thank you,

Supposedly this was the result of FEMA redrawing the maps down here. This is per the seller, I have not confirmed but is likely to be true. He said they weren’t in flood before the redraw.

Thing is most of FL is flood zone. The homes are typically built up before the home is built. I live on 2.5 acres, my home is built on an artificial hill in the middle of my lot, almost all homes down here are built that way.

My point is that I would assume that I can just elevate the home on blocks, but need to confirm.

I recently became a victim of FEMA redrawing their maps.

I have a park in northeast Indiana that was flooded after a huge storm last year. The local news cameras even showed up as tenants were removed from the park via boats. This was the worst flood this park has had. The water quickly receded and was gone the next day and not one of the homes was damaged.

FEMA has now redrawn their maps and my park is in a 100 year flood plain.

Since none of the homes was damaged by water, I was wondering if there is any way I can dispute the new map?

You say your park WAS FLOODED that is a statement of fact by you. You will never change what FEMA has indicated unless you have a connected lawyer or politician. The flood plain lines are drawn to protect life and property as potential owner or residents that their is a problem area to be prepared for and place nothing permanent in that area. As a park owner you would be well versed to tell ALL future residents of the flood plain–SORRY!!!

If it receded in one day, I’m assuming that you are next to a river or creek that moves quickly. You might look into the possibility of altering the water flow, via a berm or retaining wall, so that you can get out of the floodplain. It’s been done before.

What we did in the pass is the pass, the new regulators are a new class of bloated government that even common sense is scarce. Any attempt to alter a water course or hinder its path will come with lots of studies, government busy body regulators. lawyers and MONEY. Unfortunately you just suffered a loss to the value of your enterprise and a suggestion as to OUR EXPERIENCE try to fill the park and sell it. Any one else that has experienced a major flood to their park please explain how you see it differently!!!

Frank,

This park is located next to a creek. It was not in a flood plain when I purchased it so I thought I was safe.

I’m not sure if being on TV brought FEMA’s attention to this park.

At least the good news is that none of the homes were damaged.

I guess I will check to see if a berm will work.

Dave are you near Woodburn? There is a 500 year flood plain map available to the general public. When you are near live water or in a natural waterway check FEMA as too any possible suspicion of flooding. Dave I would be very interested if you try a berm as to the time and money to a finish product–government is tediously slow and costly for the individual trying to correct nature. I hope for your best–our people experienced the problem and when given a chance moved from the property for a calmer experience and worked our butts off to fill the park and then sell since it will FLOOD AGAIN!!!

Love’s Truck Stop just built a new facility on I-55 in Missouri in the flood plain, by filling the land about 3’ higher than it began, to get it out of the flood plain. Don’t be fixated on the concept of a berm, but it may be possible to alter the flood dynamics with a little engineering and dirt work. At least worth a try. Since you already own the park, if it takes some time, then no big deal. Here are some interesting articles on this topic.

Thought I’d start over here, this is how it works in Florida.

Yes, I can put homes in the floodplain. The home has to be set 1’ above flood, including AC compressor, ductwork, etc.

The supports have to be engineered with an engineers stamp on the plans, I don’t yet know how much this costs. The engineer probably already has everything done and just changes the address so I hope it’s not too expensive.

Dave, your PARK may be in a floodplain, but that doesn’t mean your HOMES are in a floodplain. Don’t forget that a mobile home is already built up on blocks. There is a big difference. Here in FL, there are many homes where their lots are 100% floodplain, but the homes are not because they’re either on stilts, stemwall foundation, blocks or on a built up pad.

In our experience to place homes to FEMA regulation and rules plus change our electrical height and if water is on the ground the possibility of storm water entering the sewer system increases we discover the homeowners costs were much greater than a non floodplain park thus our efficiency to compete was lessened. Part of my concern is for buyers to very aware of the 500 year and 100 year floodplain before signing a closing statement. I believe if Franks was looking at two identical parks and one was really in the flood plain and the other no chance his decision would be what??? Part of due diligence is be very careful of any stream, creek, lake or river as to flooding–the Mississippi River destroyed lots of dreams and hurricanes like Florida had and will have are more caution signs too lower P & L statements

Frank - thanks for forwarding the links. Excellent information that I will follow up on.

My park is located in Zanesville, which is southwest of Fort Wayne. I did find out that Zanesville is a non-particpating community and the National Flood Insurance Program is not available. Because the property is in a non-participating community, flood insurance is not required. I don’t know if this is a good thing or bad thing.

I will follow up with FEMA to get a better idea of the elevation of the flood plain area and what options I have to remove the flood plain status.

My goa was to fill the 3 remaining lots and sell the park but being in a floodplain will definitely impact the sales price of this park.

Dave, call the county and ask where you can find the online flood elevation maps. If the park is say 2’ below the 100 year floodplain, and your homes are elevated 3’, then the homes are out of the floodplain. To me, that makes a bid difference.

Here’s a bit more information on flood insurance and risk management:

1. If a mobile home is on ground that is in the flood zone, but the home itself is raised to an elevation above the flood zone, you may be able to get the flood insurance requirement waived, but you’ll need to pay $300 or so to get an “elevation certificate” to proove it. Depending on where you are, your flood zone, and the value of the MH covered, a FEMA flood policy will cost $250 up to $2,000 plus. This affects the affordability of living in a park - kind of like the tail wagging the dog;

2. Insurance costs via the FEMA flood program are going up. They’ve lost billions ($30 billion inception to date?) with the program and the gov’t is actually trying to make the program more financially sound. Owner occupied home flood rates went up 25% or so, and rental homes and other commercial buildings went up much higher. They are slated to raise more next year too, presuming Congress doesn’t back off and decides to subsidize it more again;

3. Flooding streets and some ground underneath homes is one thing. Flooding that gets up into homes is another. The latter can cause condemnation proceedings and result in homes not being let back in; and

4. You can’t reasonably buy loss of income insurance for your park that includes flood as a covered peril as a general rule. One park insurance carrier used to write it some, and they just quit. Thus, you need to account for this extra risk when you buy a park in a 100 year flood zone.

Kurt

Thanks. I will get the flood elevation maps.

I have a park under contract in a large metro midwest city. in a flood zone A 12-13 cap as is, with upside of raising rents, w/s pass thru and filling vacant lots, (65%)

Will clayton sell homes into this market assuming i can get financing

lou