Evicted tenant subsequently spends nights at neighbors house - help!

We successfully completed the eviction of a problem tenant from our community (hurrah!) - only to find that he subsequently moved into a neighbor’s house down the street within the same community (boo!).

Unless he makes his mailing address the house where he’s staying, is there any way I can evict him from spending nights at his neighbor’s house?

2 options to consider.

A)Tell the tenant that is housing him it needs to stop. If he doesn’t listen, evict him.

B)In my area I can ban people from the property via the police. There is a process for that, ask the local police.

1 Like

I agree with mobilehomepark.

My lease states that all tenants must be approved (we do a background check) before they can live in the park. This applies to all adults living in a house.

1 Like

I would send the neighbor a notice and inform him that you know what is going on, send an occupancy questionnaire as well, those usually let them know that management or ownership now knows there is someone in the home that is not on title or lease.

Or…

Depending on your parks Rules and Regs you can charge resident for guest fee, evicted tenant is NOT immediate family so is subjected to charges after too long.

This is going to be an extremely unpopular answer but this is how we handle this situation now (We used to do some of the above).

Consider the scenario:

Your previous tenant is now homeless and his neighbor is providing shelter for him and his family.

Possible Solution?

Have your manager actively find some assistance for this person through the litany of organizations who provide such a thing.

Benefit…

The manager gets to be a hero instead of bad guy (if you value your people, this is a pretty good thing) You solve the problem. And the neighbor gets to get rid of a family who is likely causing stress on his or her family.

It’s worked for us so I’ll put it up here. Some answers are good, some are bad. Your choice to decide what to do in your community. I like empathy in these cases and it’s not had a negative effect on our bottom line.

3 Likes

Empathy for a evicted tenant…thise is a disconnect from reality that makes no scenes.

The solution is very simple. The community is private property and anyone that is not a tenant can be restricted from entering. You contact your local police and obtain a No Trespass Notice. Fill it out in the name of the individual and file it with the police, give the individual a copy. If they set foot on your property again you have them charged with trespassing.
Simple and efficient in most jurisdictions, I have done it several times. You do this with any problem individual that is not a tenant.

I guess the question becomes, why was the person a problem and why was the person evicted? We own well over a 1,000 lots and we’ve only ever evicted someone over nonpayment. So, I’m assuming that’s what this probably is. I don’t see the need to call in the police before attempting to get the person some assistance and offering an easy way out. Our managers all have the names and numbers of every local organization at their finger tips and it’s an effortless process to start with what I suggested.

You solved the unprofitable tenant problem so there isn’t really a need to escalate it to these levels unless you absolutely need to. Plus, I’m sure the local police department has a lot better things to do than deal with this crap. I’m also quite certain that I would take in a friend who got evicted if I was the neighbor so going after him or her seems ridiculously excessive. Sometimes you need to put yourself in your tenant’s shoes but maybe I’m just crazy. Neither solution provides an economic benefit so what exactly is the problem with the solution I provided? I’d like to know in case I’m missing something blatantly obvious that everyone else seems to see.

2 Likes

I’ll clarify this a little further since it is a little weird. We put this decision in our manager’s hands and don’t get involved. Managers, in this case, have all of the information necessary to make a decision about the best course of action in individual circumstances. Whereas, park owners typically do not. In our case, most of our managers do not jump straight to the highest escalation and can typically solve a problem like this without using many of the tactics we used to use. This is not a blanket type answer so I guess the short answer might be, tell your manager each of the things that could be done in order to solve the problem and let him or her choose the one they feel fits best considering the circumstances.

1 Like