Due diligence on water lines

I have a park under contract with ~37 year old PVC water lines. Is there any due diligence I should be doing on the lines? I talked to the plumber who has worked in the park and he confirmed that there have been a few water leaks over the past couple of years. One leak was from the a joint that hadn’t been put together properly. Current water usage is a little high at 6,000 gallons per resident last month but not far out of the ordinary for a RUBS system.

What size pipe is It? What is class/schedule/sdr rating? 3" and under are glue joints. Im dealing with some pvc that was installed around 1990. SDR 26 160 psi 3" what a joke. In one area every joint is pulling apart where it was glued. Neighboring water system has pipe in the same ditch 2.5" schedule 40 rated at 300 psi no problem at all. I have cut out sections of this sdr 26 during replacement and dropped it 1 foot onto the ground it breaks in multiple spots. I would ask the plumber about what size and pressure rating he has seen. It would also be good money spent to dig a few holes to see what is in the park. At 6000 gallons a day I don’t think you have any leaks. If it is schedule 40 2" your fine. Otherwise you might have some more low pressure drama

Pressure surveys are a good idea too :wink:

2 Likes

I bought a home years ago that was built in the 80’s. There is a certain type of PVC that was used then that was deemed ‘guaranteed to fail’ and there was a class action lawsuit… my house had that type of pvc and it was replaced. Might want to google it.