Documents for park manager (employee) that just receives free lot rent

What kind of employee documents do you make a park manager sign if they just receive free lot rent? I-9? W-4? Do you get workers comp insurance for them?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Get set up with your state.gov site with new hire paperwork.

Yes to workers comp.

It much depends on whether they are a Contractor or an Employee. See my article on deciding which you really have. Bottom left of the www.MobileAgency.com “Are Park Managers Employees or Contractors.”

If it’s a close call, the safer option is to call them an Employee as there really are no penalties (other than headaches and some extra known costs up front) for calling a Contractor an Employee. However, the reverse mistake can create real liabilities. That’s why Frank classifies almost every one of his workers “Employees.”

I’d check with your CPA on the matter. If you indeed have a worker you can call a “Contractor,” start with our “Performance Agreement for Contractors and Contract Workers” in the Forms tab of our website.

If the worker is going to be called an employee, you’ll want an I-9, W-4, and possibly an employment contract, as well as Workers Compensation insurance.

Kurt

@KurtKelley what is the reasoning for the W-4 if then receive no compensation other than free lot rent?

Thanks again

I apologize for the incomplete information and the delay in responding. Call me direct if you need more detail in the future 281-367-9266, ext. 17

You don’t need the W-4 if the only compensation is free lot rent. But check with your CPA to confirm. And if they tell you different, listen to their advice

Kurt

@KurtKelley

Is the reason because you do not need to pay payroll taxes on the free lot rent (if this is the only compensation to the resident manager)?