Cyber Liability Insurance Rent Manager, Paylease, Emails, Texts

I am curious to hear if many of the park owners reading this carry Cyber Liability Insurance.

I own 5 small parks and I use Rent Manager and Paylease for online payments through RM, I also may email or text sensitive information.
Should I carry Cyber Liability Insurance? My understanding is most standard policies do no include Cyber Liability.

Thanks for any Comments!

Rent Manager (or their card processor) is supposed to be PCI compliant if they process credit card information, which means they have a baseline of security controls in place to protect the card information. They have the responsibility to protect that information.

Regarding documents, emails, and texts I would enable Two Factor Authentication on everything possible such as Google Drive and Gmail. Try not to text social security numbers and credit card information.

I don’t think it makes sense for most MHP owners to have Cyber Insurance. Cyber Insurance is for large companies that have their own IT shops hosting sensitive records for thousands of people - think HR departments and the recipe for Coca Cola type stuff. For MHP owners keep that information with a processor who does that for a living, and sensibly manage the sensitive stuff you have to keep on your machine.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes