Converting Septic to City Sewer - Environmental Concerns?

When converting a park from septic to city sewer, are you required to do anything to the old septic tanks? I’m also interested in finding out what costs are involved in the conversion beyond the tap fees and running the new sewer lines to each home? Thanks!

Hi Kdub, I’d ask a local septic system contractor. They may well know. If you’ve got a good relationship with the city utilities people, they may know too. All that said, though state laws vary, septic leaching isn’t considered pollution and is designed to keep any dangerous products inside the tanks. It’s likely though you can’t build on top of the leaching fields for at least some time though.

Most areas require that the top of the tank be collapsed and the tank be filled with earth and covered over.

Thanks Kurt, much appreciated.

Ok Greg, thank you. I’ll check on that.

Greg left out step one, I’m sure he thought it was obvious but step one is pump the tanks dry.

Coach, if he pumps the tank out and you have a big rain the tank can FLOAT–if not required do not pump the tank out

It’s required everywhere that I’m aware of. If it’s full and you fill it with sand or whatever the sewage will just overflow onto the ground and into the streets, under homes, onto neighboring properties,etc.

If you have a 2000 gallon tank and put 2000 gallons of sand in it, something HAS to go. Basic physics.

Coach62 in MO. in our subdivision a central sewage system was put in and NO tanks were required to be pumped out–just our actual experience.

How could you possibly fill a tank with sand if it’s already full of sewage? I actually took my septic course at University of Missouri, one of the leaders.

You’ve previously said they don’t need pumped, according to MU they do.

“A general rule of thumb is to have a septic tank pumped by a licensed pumper every three to five years. But how often a tank needs to be pumped depends on the size of your tank, the amount of wastewater generated in your household, the amount of solids carried in the wastewater, and the age of the system.”

Source. Household Wastewater: Septic Systems and Other Treatment Methods (Fact Sheet) | MU Extension

Just the actually facts coach sorry if they do not fit your thinking

I /we would have no reason to not believe the situation that Carl experienced. A inspector or code enforcement officer defiantly dropped the ball to be sure. Abandoned tanks are a major safety concern regarding someone falling in when the tank eventually collapses.
Tanks are required to be pumped, collapsed and filled in for safety reasons.

It’s not my way of thinking Carl, is basic 8th grade physics. You can’t have 2000 gallons of sand and 2000 gallons of sewage inside the same 2000 gallon tank at the same time.

Greg, we’d have to believe both the contractor and the inspector missed a major health law, very unlikely. I know the law in MO, I studied septic design and inspection there, I still have the textbook somewhere I think.

It is hard to believe it would be overlooked. In addition the liability issue for the park owner would be very high. Surprising the insurance company would go along but likely does not know.