Chip N Seal Vs Asphalt Road

I’ve read the differences between these two road applications however I’ve been approached from a local business to let them give me a quote on a Chip N Seal road which is supposedly half the cost. I’m curious if anyone has used a Chip N Seal road and how it has held up?

I liked the idea myself for a lot of reasons but while I was looking into it, I was told the tar would likely track into people’s homes and get on their vehicles for quite a while until it had enough traffic and or time to cure.

I would definitely look into that part of further.

I like the stuff though.

Ken

1 Like

Chip and seal is normally put on top of pavement as a maintenance service.

I don’t know if “Chip n Seal” is the same thing that my dad and I used to call “tar and gravel” but it sounds similar. I spent summer breaks back home in rural VA building tar and gravel driveways with him back in college, and we never had any complaints about tar getting tracked in. And these were some LONG driveways (one we did was about a mile long) up a mountain.

The process involved grading the site then putting the tar down, and a layer of gravel over top of it that then got compacted with a roller. Can’t remember if another layer went over or if it was just one layer, but the bottom line is that the top layer was compacted gravel and you really didn’t get any tar exposed.

1 Like

we had a few roads in our community tarred and chipped. it holds up good as long as all the grade work is properly done. we intend to redo ours this summer and put another layer on. Our experience was it was around 1/3 of the price of asphalt.

1 Like