Changing over the park to RV rentals?

That’s exactly what we are doing in the 1958 Spartan currently being renovated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I LOVE Spartans!!! You have great taste in RVs sir!!

I never knew how much time it would take to polish one though… but they’re so pretty afterwards. We own four polishing wheels. It’s an ugly business, but someone has to do it.

They are absolute art on wheels! I am jealous!! I would love to see pics.

Check your state and local regulations on this idea before you start. Also ask your insurance agent… they may have to get you other insurance for RV campers. I do have a daily and weekly rate and make sure I take someone on those terms occasionally because I need to meet requirements for Campground status. But make sure you also get with your accountant regarding hospitality taxes you might owe.

Well then I would be happy to oblige you. Note that @Deleted_User_ME was on site for the move, so clearly this was a special event. Jack, you’re famous!

The second photo is after the first pass polishing. Two more to go…plus the interior is a complete re-do. This trailer (#255) has some really interesting history as part of the Southern Pacific Railroad and we also have the consecutively numbered Spartan right after it (#256) recently acquired too.

2 Likes

And proof for the haters.

2 Likes

Yes. I really am jealous.

I found historical documents from Utah that these Southern Pacific trailers would be moved on flatbed railcar to their destination and then offloaded, set on railroad timbers as a dwelling for their Maintenance of Way crews (e.g. the guys that maintained the tracks and infrastructure until it was mostly mechanized / automated in the 1980’s). These were basically a bunkhouse. This probably explains why the RV didn’t have any axles or suspension.

After Spartan quit making trailers in 1962 they used Airstreams mostly thereafter.

We are going to be switching out the blocks for railroad ties as a foundation in the spirit of preserving the history and making it a talking point for the RV Park.

That is awesome! See… if I did all that work there’s no way I would let someone else rent it. It would be mine to look at and enjoy. Lol. I would rent a cheap new model something… but NOT those. They wouldn’t appreciate it enough.

1 Like