At What Point Is The Septic Tenant Responsiblity

Tenant complained that toilet wasn’t flushing. I evaluated the septic tank and all was well. I referred the tenant to contact a plumber and manage a possible clog. Long story short, the plumber came in on a weekend and accidentally broke appliances trying to snake the tenants drains. So he had to pay for some of his mistakes. After a few days of repair and evaluation the major issue was that the tenants sewer pipe stub up from the toilet going under ground several feet was crushed. It was old black PVC pipe that was probably used as a stub up 20 yrs ago. Our guidelines state that we are responsible for the utilities up to the mobile. The tenant asked the contractor to proceed with the repairs without consulting with us and now he’s expecting that we will help him pay for this bill. We would have fixed this problem ourselves if we had been notified but he cleared the contractor without discussing anything with us & now he expects us to foot some of the bill. This specific contractor is known for large labor bills, & we feel that we should have been consulted. How would this best be dealt with??

Without have your authorisation in advance the tenant is responsible for the repair costs.
At the very most I would pay only the equilivant it would have cost me to do the repair. If that would have been the material costs then that is all I would pay.

1 Like

I disagree and think you should probably cover this bill. The tenant came to you with a problem that was within your part of the system (admittedly unbeknownst to either of you) and then you referred him to a plumber that made the repair. Bad situation but I would eat this if it were me.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with Nate

1 Like