QUESTIONS - EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL:
1.) "Has anyone had a Tenant who owned an Emotional Support Animal?"
2.) "If yes, what documentation did you require and receive (such as documentation from a physician that there was a need for the Emotional Support Animal)?"
3.) "Did you require insurance for the animal?"
4.) "Did you have your insurance provider deal with the situation (as per Frank)?"
5.) “How is/has the situation worked out for you?”
I searched this thread and the last specific thread on Service Animals was from 2013. Thus, I am writing a new post.
Currently, we are in the process of renting one of our Park Owned Mobile Homes.
We have an ad which states “No Pets”.
We have a Prospective Applicant who has 2 “Emotional Support Dogs” for their Autistic Grandson that they just adopted.
Below is a link to the HUD Government Website for:
- US Department Of Housing And Urban Development
- Office Of Fair Housing And Equal Opportunity
- “Service Animals and Assistance Animals For People With Disabilities In Housing And HUD-Funded Programs”:
As per the HUD Website Link:
- Housing providers may ask individuals who have disabilities that are not readily apparent or known to the provider to submit reliable documentation of a disability and their disability-related need for an assistance animal.
- For example, the housing provider may ask persons who are seeking a reasonable accommodation for an assistance animal that provides emotional support to provide documentation from a physician, psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional that the animal provides emotional support that alleviates one or more of the identified symptoms or effects of an existing disability.
As per HUD since the disability is not readily apparent we have requested:
- “Documentation from a physician, psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional that the animal provides emotional support that alleviates one or more of the identified symptoms or effects of an existing disability.”
This Prospective Tenant said that they did not have that specific documentation and that they were not able to secure the documentation over the weekend.
I have given them until this Monday at 8 AM to provide the documentation.
I am not opposed to having the dogs in the Mobile Home.
Since they currently do not have the documentation to support this need, I get the impression that they are using this “Emotional Support Animal” to get housing for their dogs, not pay the Pet Fee (Non-Refundable) and not pay the Monthly Pet Fee.
They have not technically applied for the Mobile Home.
However, I want to make sure that I obey the Law.
The Law actually states that as a Landlord:
- “For example, while housing providers may require applicants or residents to pay a pet deposit, they may not require applicants and residents to pay a deposit for an assistance animal.”
The Law also states that:
- “Breed, size, and weight limitations may not be applied to an assistance animal.”
If you have experience with this issue, please share.
Thanks So Very Much!