Abandon home in Indiana

Hello all,

Hope you’re well! I have a deceased tenant named Lisa who owns her own mobile home and was just paying lot rent at my mobile home park in Indiana. She has a daughter that sometimes lives with her. Unfortunately Lisa has recently passed away and I don’t think the daughter is going to continue to pay the lot rent because she is going to be in jail for a long time. So I have posted a Pay or Quit notice and looking to evict her for non payment. My question is if the daughter stops paying the lot rent because she is in jail now for a while, do I keep the home? This home is pretty much abandoned. How does this all work?

If I do keep the home in my possession, what is the process of taking ownership of the home?

Thank you,

Gulliver

This has been answered before - here you go!

my situation is a little different, in that the mobile home owner is deceased, there is no one to inherit the mobile home, and thus, noone to pay the lot rent from here on out. So I have to evict, but how do I evict a deceased person and how do I take over this home?

@Gulliver, I think the daughter inherits? She can inherit property and still go to jail right? Ask her to sign it over or do a cash for keys arrangement maybe.

I recommend you start the abandonment process. You will be able to get the title by doing this. I don’t recall the exact process, but you’ll have to place an ad in the paper, have a police officer confirm the vin, pay any back taxes, etc… there will be paperwork required for all of this.