65 pound mastiff "Service Dog in Training"

I have an application from a potential tenant who wants to move into my park (Kansas).

He has a 65 pounds mastiff that he says is “in training” to become a service dog for his disable fiance.

My park rules state that no dangerous breeds are allowed, and not dogs over 30 pounds.

I think I am just going to reject his application without giving a reason. I do not want a 65 lbs mastiff in my park.

i would be very careful around this subject when it comes to service dogs. just look up the laws and check with a lawyer

If they cannot provide proof that the dog is already a service dog be proactive and reject the applicant. They can attempt to re-apply once it is done with its training and your vacancy is filled.

1 Like

Your best option, rather than reject, would be to find a qualified applicant first. Inform them if necessary that you are still taking applications or that you have multiple applications already.You then simply inform them that you have approved a qualified applicant and that the unit is no longer available.

You will probably find that the dog is not in fact a service dog yet but it is still much safer to find a more qualified applicant and not deal with the “service dog” issue at all.

2 Likes

Do fewer people own dogs in Canada due to bears, or is it roughly the same as the US?

1 Like

Yeah my wife and I have a vest for our Rottweiler that says “Service dog in training”. You can order them online for $30. We got it just so people won’t pet him when we are in public. And assuming the mastiff is healthy, 65 lbs means it’s just a juvenile.

I actually do have bears passing through my community on occasion. Biggest threat to pets is actually Fishers, they will kill almost anything. The plus to Fishers is they keep the cat population under control in rural communities and it prevents residents from leaving their dogs tied out side unattended. We do not allow unattended dogs being left outside…

Sounds ridiculous. There is a difference between a Service animal that provides life saving assistance (blindness, deaf, diabetes, seizures, etc). They are expensive animals; professionally trained and certified. Comfort animals are an off shoot and have zero legal ADA protection. I had a tenant six month ago sneak a pair of German Shepherds into their home. One of them snapped at a neighbor and they tried the ‘comfort animal’ line with me. They were out in two days.

2 Likes

Bottom line- read the ADA laws and follow them. You can not restrict breeds. You can not ask for proof. There are rules outlined by the ADA they must follow. If you as an owner do not follow the rules the tenant will hire an attorney that will be all to happy to take you to court for violating the ADA laws and make bank. Redirecting…

Look at the next link and find the form concerning service animals. This site has GREAT information and is a must for all park owners to bookmark. I have met Kurt many times and he is one of the few rockstars in the insurance business that really, really understands this business.

2 Likes