12 foot homes and grandfathering

I’m looking at a small park in a great metro with $350+ lot rents. It is 16 total spaces with one empty lot, 2 POH’s and 13 TOH’s. It is a legal non conforming grandfathered status. Lot size is pretty small at only 80 foot deep. The park has several 16x70 homes on these lots but six of the homes are 12 foot width. I am worried about replacing these old homes when the time comes. When I discussed this with the county they said I could replace any home, but had to do it within six months of pulling the old one out and could only replace with a home that is not larger than the current home. This will make it very difficult to replace these homes. It seems like the county’s rules clash with what I understand about grandfathering. Any words of wisdom on this deal? Is it worth pursuing? Should I be concerned about the old 12 foot homes?

This probably has to do with the set backs. They can change over time and, I believe, aren’t part of the grandfathering status. Check with the county and fire marshal.

You are correct, it is the set backs that are making me nervous. 15ft front and 10ft back on an 80 foot lot doesnt leave you with much left (55ft). I thought however that grandfathering included the set backs also?

I’m 99% sure that grandfathering doesn’t include the set backs. Try calling the fire chief. He can confirm.

We had a similar issue. We have on file a 1980 letter from the city board of supervisors and planning describing our grandfather status. It still holds up today when we replace old 12’ units with larger new homes. A copy of the letter gets attached to the site plan for approval – have brought in 15 new units over the last 8 years - all have the set back grandfathered status. You may need to talk to the city - and get minutes of the meeting when the set backs were first given (that is how we got the letter).

In New Mexico, grandfathering covers you for setback non-conformance for moving new homes in or reconfiguring homes on existing pads. Only newly developed pads need to comply with the updated setback rules. Is this not the case in the state you’re located?

Cory, we are facing a similar issue. The city, which I will not mention for now, says we cannot bring new homes to the community unless the installation meets current standards, including setbacks. Problem is that the lots are too small and it is impossible to meet the new standards.

The issue we have with the city, is that they cannot legally do this, but they clearly want to shut us down and re-purpose the land. We have engaged an attorney and hope to prevail, but that will take time. Good news is that you can buy brand new 12’ wide homes. We recently priced a few so that we can bring them in when we clear the legal case with the city. Adventure homes in Indiana priced them for us.