100 to 200 amp conversion

Anything on forum seems pretty dated and not finding much to begin with. Has anyone done this recently? What did it run you? Below is 1 quote I was able to get - $1600 total. Number below $ on end is Qty (ie labor is $780 for 12 hours, or $65/hr).

Hom Outd 200A8/16 Ft Lug 1 202.46
Sweetbriar Triplex 4/0-2/0-4/0 75 236.25
2USE 75 56.25
PK12GTA Ldcntr Gnd Bar Kit 1 17.98
2" Sch 80 PVC Conduit 10 19.50
2" Sch 40 PVC Conduit 50 67.50
2-IN 90D PVC Elbow 3 11.70
Ground Rod 2 39.64
Ground Rod Clamp 2 5.38
Wire Bare-SD-6-SOL-CU-315R 15 13.50
Labor-2 12 780.00
Inspection Fee- New Home 1 150.00

Is this one house? 12 hours seems like a long time to complete. It’s nice to see everything broken down like that though

Thanks. Yes 1 home, looks like he has 2 employees, 6 hours per.

So a few things.
If you upgrade service, you probably need to upgrade wire. That means trenching and thhn or some sort of UF wire. When you break out a trencher- it just gets expensive. Looks like your run is 50’ from the source. If they just trench a new line, lay the new pipe, upgrade the primary and then re-power the disconnect- I can see it taking a day and a half for 2 guys.

If you were able to go overhead. the cost is about 1/2. When we can, we put up a single pole next to the home, and swing fresh power from the primary pole down. Now we only need to stub into the home and the box, no trench. This does not work everywhere, but if you want to save money with electric- keep it out of the ground.

1 Like

Much appreciated. Entire park is underground electric so unfortunately probably the way to go here.

I’m considering installing a pole between two homes and installing two new 200 amp boxes, one for each home, and one on each side of the same pole.

Are you aware of any advantages of installing one pole for each home (for each box) instead of the way I’m proposing?

I do this when I can in my parks- they call it a ‘Gang Box’. 2 gang for 2 homes, 3 gang for 3 etc… One pole, one weather-head and more than one meter will save some money. You need to figure in how far the runs will be between houses and know what it costs to trench per foot, and how much more wire will be for a longer run. At some point, the cost benefit of one pole will be diminished due tot he trenching and longer wire runs. To really understand you need to know the local codes also- because most cities will have ‘wire drop zones’ you need to understand. In most places you can not run a wire over a house, or overhead within a certain number of feet from structures. These numbers might differ with ‘primary power’ and ‘secondary power’. That is before and after the transformer. There will also be a certain number of feet the secondary power can run prior to it entering your weather-head. In general I figure this number is 90’… but you should call your electrician and see how far your pole can be from the primary power pole.

1 Like